22.6.08

I want you, I need you, Oh Baby, Oh Baby

It seems that everywhere I turn on the Internet, there is a little box labeled "About me" that the website wants me to fill out.
Everything from your birthday, to sexual preferences, relationship status, and interests is there for you to display to the world.
My personal favourite is "Looking for." OMGWTFBBQ, if I was looking for an awkward internet relationship, I'd use a specifically tailored website... and I'd be losing my mind.
I'm sick of feeling like Facebook is "Match.com" in disguise.
I don't mind 'meeting' new people, and I don't mind networking, but I sure as hell don't appreciate freaky friend requests from people I don't know, especially without an explanation.
How hard is it to type "Hey, I noticed that we have similar [musical/literary/cinematic] interests, and I'd like to talk to you about them." (or something of the like)?
Apparently it's just as painful as using the correct "to/too/two/2."
The best "About Me" description you're going to get out of a person like me is going to be through conversational exchange.
I'll fill out my interests, my favourites, and my dislikes; but I won't launch into a description of myself, because I can't. About the best I can do is this: I'm too shy and unassuming to flaunt myself on the internet. (Filling out Scholarship/College applications is also a bitch, just in case you're wondering...)
In fact, playing the alphabet game (ya know, where you fill out an interest or something for each of the letters of the alphabet) would be a more practical profile design tool.
But I think that Blogspot's innovative way of listing my "sign" [Taurus] is going to be positively groundbreaking. >.<
Sure, Astrology is great, but Astronomy is sexier.

No comments: